This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I receive a small commission if you click, at no additional cost to you.
Do you always create the perfect playlist for the beach, or perhaps every vacation for that matter? If you are anything like me, music is always incorporated into your travels.
I especially love making a playlist when I go to the beach, which I’ll continue to listen to even if I’m home. You’d welcome some tropical tunes too if you experienced a northeast Ohio winter!
If you are planning a relaxing getaway, I have listed 100 songs below that would be perfect on any beach playlist. These songs range from upbeat, light, carefree and perfectly mellow vibes. They are just what you need to achieve the ultimate state of relaxation, and feel like you’ve truly escaped to paradise.
Start building your beach playlist:
Below, I have compiled a list of the top 100 songs that I always include on my beach playlist. They are organized by category, and there is something for everyone. You can also listen to this full playlist in Spotify here. Enjoy!
I have a special place in my heart for music from decades past. There are some songs that, no matter how old they are, continue to sound so good on the beach. Here are my favorite old school picks that never cease to take me to my happy place.
- 1. Africa – Toto
- 2. All Night Long – Lionel Richie
- 3. Brandy – Looking Glass
- 4. Brown Eyed Girl – Jimmy Buffett
- 5. Cruisin’ – Smokey Robinson
- 6. Dreams – Fleetwood Mac
- 7. Drift Away – Dobie Gray
- 8. Easy – The Commodores
- 9. Free Fallin’ – Tom Petty
- 10. Hotel California – The Eagles
- 11. Margaritaville – Jimmy Buffett
- 12. Message In A Bottle – The Police
- 13. Mrs. Robinson – Simon & Garfunkel
- 14. Ooh La La – Faces
- 15. Red Red Wine – UB40
- 16. Roxanne – The Police
- 17. (Sittin’ On) the Dock of the Bay – Otis Redding
- 18. Sweet Home Alabama – Lynyrd Skynyrd
- 19. Take It Easy – The Eagles
- 20. The Joker – Steve Miller Band
- 21. Under the Boardwalk – The Drifters
- 22. Wouldn’t It Be Nice – The Beach Boys
Many pop songs bring reggae and Latin vibes, which make them perfect for a fun beach day. They also tend to come and go like fads, so I update this section often. That said, I do have a few favorites that have been making my list for years.
- 23. Better – Khalid
- 24. BICHOTA – KAROL G
- 25. Cheerleader – OMI
- 26. Cheers (Drink to That) – Rihanna
- 27. Dakiti – Bad Bunny, Jhay Cortez
- 28. Despacito – Luis Fonsi (feat. Daddy Yankee)
- 29. Don’t Matter – Akon
- 30. Feels – Calvin Harris
- 31. Girl From Rio – Anitta
- 32. Girl Like Me – Black Eyed Peas, Shakira
- 33. If It’s Lovin’ That You Want – Rihanna
- 34. I’m Yours – Jason Mraz
- 35. July – Noah Cyrus feat. Leon Bridges
- 36. MIA (ft. Drake) – Bad Bunny
- 37. Peaches(ft. Daniel Caesar, Giveon) – Justin Bieber
- 38. telepatía – Kali Uchis
- 39. Waves – Robin Schulz Radio Edit – Mr. Probz
- 40. We’re Good – Dua Lipa
Every beach playlist needs a touch of reggae to bring those feel good vibes. Nothing takes you to the gentle waters of the Caribbean quite like a good island rhythm.
Obviously, I’ve included a hefty amount of Bob Marley, although he could almost have his own category. No tropical playlist would ever be complete without his songs, and I never feel like I’m on vacation until Bob Marley starts playing. The below songs are best consumed with rum punch.
- 41. Buffalo Soldier – Bob Marley & The Wailers
- 42. Could You Be Loved – Bob Marley & The Wailers
- 43. I’m Still in Love with You (feat. Sasha) – Sean Paul
- 44. Is This Love – Bob Marley & The Wailers
- 45. Jamming – Bob Marley & The Wailers
- 46. No Letting Go – Wayne Wonder
- 47. One Love – Bob Marley & The Wailers
- 48. Three Little Birds – Bob Marley & The Wailers
- 49. Turn Me On – Kevin Lyttle
- 50. Waiting in Vain – Bob Marley & The Wailers
- 51. You Don’t Love Me (No, No, No) – Dawn Penn
Travel Savvy Tip
I like to make a playlist on my phone, and then play it through a waterproof bluetooth speaker on the beach. They’re easy to throw into a beach bag, and the sound quality is so much better!
Rock & Alt Rock
There is a place for rock on every beach playlist. First of all, there are many bands that have a reggae sound, such as Sublime and No Doubt. Then you have bands with a more mellow style, which is just as perfect for laying out near the water.
The below songs are many of my go-to’s, which find themselves back on my beach playlist year after year.
- 52. All For You – Sister Hazel
- 53. Amber – 311
- 54. Can’t Stop – Red Hot Chili Peppers
- 55. Clocks – Coldplay (Rhythms De Mundo album)
- 56. Dashboard – Modest Mouse
- 57. Flake – Jack Johnson
- 58. Float On – Modest Mouse
- 59. Island in the Sun – Weezer
- 60. Jackie and Wilson – Hozier
- 61. Lay Me Down (feat. Rome) – Dirty Heads, Steve Fox, The Dirty Heads, Stan Frazier & Roman Ramirez
- 62. Love Song – 311
- 63. Only Wanna Be With You – Hootie & The Blowfish
- 64. Riptide – Vance Joy
- 65. Santa Monica – Everclear
- 66. Santeria – Sublime
- 67. Semi-Charmed Life – Third Eye Blind
- 68. Sit Next to Me – Foster the People
- 69. Someday – Sugar Ray
- 70. Someone New – Hozier
- 71. Stolen Dance – Milky Chance
- 72. Two Princes – Spin Doctors
- 73. Underneath It All (feat. Lady Saw) – No Doubt
- 74. Walking on a Dream – Empire of the Sun
- 75. When It’s Over – Sugar Ray
Country and hip-hop on the same list may seem a bit unconventional, but I’m going with it. Admittedly, I am not the biggest country listener. However, I’ve been exposing myself to it more and more lately, and have begun to incorporate it on my playlists.
Country music fans: I’ve been listening to your suggestions, and have expanded the list this year. I can’t believe I never listed a Kenny Chesney song before this year. After all, he even has a home on my favorite island, St. John in the US Virgin Islands!
- 76. Chicken Fried – Zac Brown Band
- 77. Cruise (Remix, ft. Nelly) – Florida Georgia Line
- 78. Daddy Lessons – Beyonce
- 79. It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere (ft. Jimmy Buffett) – Alan Jackson
- 80. Knee Deep (ft. Jimmy Buffett) – Zac Brown Band
- 81. No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems – Kenny Chesney
- 82. Pirate Flag – Kenny Chesney
- 83. Slow Burn – Kacey Musgraves
- 84. Summertime – Kenny Chesney
- 85. Tennessee Whiskey – Chris Stapleton
- 86. When the Sun Goes Down – Kenny Chesney & Uncle Kracker
Hip-hop often incorporates island beats, and there are actually many songs in this genre with great tropical vibes. I never make a beach playlist that doesn’t include at least some hip-hop. These songs are not always the most mellow, and probably not the greatest for relaxation. However, they are very fun poolside, or while tossing a football in the sand.
- 87. American Boy (feat. Kanye West) – Estelle
- 88. Controlla – Drake
- 89. Guatemala – Rae Sremmurd
- 90. Miami – Will Smith
- 91. One Dance (feat. WizKid, Kyla) – Drake
- 92. Ready of Not – Fugees
- 93. Sunflower – Post Malone & Swae Lee
- 94. Unforgettable (feat. Swae Lee) – French Montana
Last but certainly not least – the rest of the songs I always bring to the beach. Most of these remainders are singer/songwriter types that didn’t clearly fit under the above categories. Some of these mellow tunes are my absolute favorites, and maybe they’ll be yours too!
- 95. Beyond – Leon Bridges
- 96. Budapest – George Ezra
- 97. Give Me One Reason – Tracy Chapman
- 98. Over the Rainbow – Israel Kamakawiwo’ole
- 99. Unaware – Allen Stone
- 100. Waterfalls – TLC
• • •
Now all you need is some sunscreen and you’re ready to go! What songs are always on your beach playlist? Share below!